Monday, March 15, 2010

ALDI

Yesterday in the Star Telegram was a big article about the new discount grocery store, Aldi, coming to the DFW area.  They are opening several stores on Thursday, and I can't wait to check it out.  After doing some more research on their website, here's what I've learned so far:

~The store doesn't carry any name brand products, only their own "house brands" but they are significantly
    cheaper than similar products elsewhere.
~You have to bring your own bags or pay for paper ones at a nickel each, plastic for a dime, or insulated
   frozen food bags for a dollar
~ You have to pay a quarter to "rent" a cart.
~The website estimates that you  can do about 90% of your household grocery shopping here.  That's
     certainly a downfall for me because I'm a Walmart gal (no hate mail please) because it's a one-stop
     shopping experience and my time is more valuable to me than anything else.
~Only Cash, Food Stamps, and Debit cards are accepted
~ You bag your own groceries
~They are not open 24 hours- most likely 9-8 and 12-5 on Sundays


Do you shop at an Aldi?  Let me know what you like/dislike about it and if I've got all my info right.

I'm leery of the only "house brands" thing, but bags are not an issue.  I think everyone should be using their own bags by now, a quarter for a cart is weird, but doesn't deter me, and bagging my own groceries is no biggie.  Paying cash/debit keeps me out of debt , but the hours may affect me.  Sometimes I'm a late night shopper.  Overall it seems there's a lot of reasons why I won't be shopping there, but I'm strangely excited to check it out on Thursday.

I'll update with my thoughts after I've visited the one in Pantego on Thursday.

1 comments:

Mrs. Garcia said...

Well, it was exactly as described and what I expected. No selection, only house brand items, 25 cent cart rental, bring or buy bags. . . nothing to rave about. I did purchase about $30 worth of groceries to see if I like their brand of frozen tortellini, canned tomatoes and paper plates. I picked up some pizelles that I can't wait to try, but the produce was disappointing. Most of it was wrapped up and not able to be sorted through. I bought some pears that ended up being nicked and bruised when I got home and opened the package. I will have to see if they have really great deals in their ads for things like canned veggies, pasta and paper goods. I'll make a special trip for a great deal on something that I know I'll use, but it won't be part of my weekly routine to shop there. Yes, they did have good prices. I like the eco-friendly atmosphere of bringig your own bags or buying theirs and no frills product displays, so I guess it just depends on if their products are quality and what my family likes. Bottom line: still undecided about Aldi.